Ideas for the "Unplanned Break"
My kids are both in school today but starting Monday both of their schools are cancelled for two weeks + spring break, so no school for the next three weeks. My first thought upon hearing this was a sinking feeling of dread. Oh no, what will we do for three weeks at home! My son, who is 7, thrives on routine. My daughter, who is 2, is at the non-stop toddler stage. But the more I thought about this the more I realized that this has the potential to be good!
So, I wanted to share some ideas I have for making this unplanned “break” a success. It also helps me to write them out so I will actually implement them!
1. Establish a daily routine
I want to make the next few weeks as normal as possible. Both of my kid’s schools are sending home work. We will get up in the morning (maybe sleep in a bit if I’m lucky,) eat breakfast, then do school work. That means no screen time until “school” is done for the day.
I want to make the next few weeks as normal as possible. Both of my kid’s schools are sending home work. We will get up in the morning (maybe sleep in a bit if I’m lucky,) eat breakfast, then do school work. That means no screen time until “school” is done for the day.
2. Get in extra family time
I work part time and my husband works part time and is in seminary full time. Needless to say the next few weeks will be full of juggling our schedules. But even with all of the craziness of life we will have more time with the kids. I’m looking forward to family board games, crafts, Mario Cart, and movie nights. Bring on the popcorn!
I work part time and my husband works part time and is in seminary full time. Needless to say the next few weeks will be full of juggling our schedules. But even with all of the craziness of life we will have more time with the kids. I’m looking forward to family board games, crafts, Mario Cart, and movie nights. Bring on the popcorn!
3. Daily exercise
Praise Jesus the weather here in Kentucky is finally warming up! I’m hoping to spend time outside each day riding bikes, going on walks and hikes, and playing. I also love the workout videos from The Official Revelation Wellness® Community and my kids like doing them with me.
Praise Jesus the weather here in Kentucky is finally warming up! I’m hoping to spend time outside each day riding bikes, going on walks and hikes, and playing. I also love the workout videos from The Official Revelation Wellness® Community and my kids like doing them with me.
4. Stop, breathe, and find peace
I have been feeling panic and stress from the constant barrage of information. Last night I deleted the Facebook app from my phone and a couple of news apps I use. The more I saw the more anxious I was feeling. That anxiety was affecting my kids and other relationships. So, for the next few weeks I’m taking a break from Facebook. I’ll check work pages and notifications but won’t be spending much time there. I often use social media as a numbing device when things get hard but I want to be fully present with my family and enjoy the gift of time with them. They won’t be little forever.
I have been feeling panic and stress from the constant barrage of information. Last night I deleted the Facebook app from my phone and a couple of news apps I use. The more I saw the more anxious I was feeling. That anxiety was affecting my kids and other relationships. So, for the next few weeks I’m taking a break from Facebook. I’ll check work pages and notifications but won’t be spending much time there. I often use social media as a numbing device when things get hard but I want to be fully present with my family and enjoy the gift of time with them. They won’t be little forever.
Comments
Post a Comment