God created us with such a capacity to love


For nearly the past 4 years, I've been learning something:  God created us with such a capacity to love!  Throughout my college years and into my 20s, I thought I knew a thing or two about love.  I mean, I married Cassidy.  That counts for something, right?

Then something happened.  When we wanted to start a family, we found out that it would be virtually impossible.  Of course, we were heartbroken.  We never saw ourselves not having children.  So the news was difficult for us to bear, but somehow, we remained hopeful.

God had already put into motion this amazing path that He would beckon us to journey on with Him.  Adoption.  I think I've learned more through this experience about the love of Christ and what it means to be adopted as His child than all the years of my life before this time combined.

The day we met Isaac, I realized how selfish I really am.  My tendencies to look out for my own interests melted away as I stared into this little guy's eyes.  I can't imagine ever putting my own desires above Isaac's needs.

Now, I'm not saying I'm fully healed of my selfishness, but at least now my tendency is to recognize when I am missing the mark.  Isaac is a great teacher.

I didn't realize how much a child can make you put away your pride and just love.  I imagine how deep the Father's love for us is.  Because I know that if I, a sinful man, can love my son as much as I do, how much more is God's love for us, His children?

God has created us with such capacity to love.  So, I think it's time to explore that capacity even more...

A few years back, a pastor friend and I were talking about the children that He is grateful to God for.  We were talking about our capacity for love as human beings.  I told him that I don't think I could ever love more than I love Cassidy and Isaac.  I said, I can't imagine the depth of love for as many children as he had.  He looked at me and I think understood that there was a little fear in my statement.  And he revealed something that to this day encourages me.  He said, "That's what I thought too.  But with every child, I started to realize that God created us with such a capacity to love.  My heart seemed to grow more with the birth of each of my children."

With those encouraging words, we begin a new journey.  Cassidy, Isaac and I are going to allow God to expand our capacity to love by adopting another child.  We are excited to see where God calls us on this path.  Our faith is in Him and we invite you to join us on our journey.

We look forward to what God has in store.  Maybe, just maybe, we'll experience a little more of the depth of the Father's love.  Let's explore together!

We're so excited for what God has in store.  We want to say a big "thank you" to those of you that have already helped us start this new journey.  While we don't know how long we will be waiting, I know that God is preparing our hearts.  So....here's the progress on the adoption puzzle so far!


Just in case you don't know what this is, check out the "Donate" tab at the top of this blog.  You'll find a full explanation there.

Grace and Peace,
Brian

Comments

Popular Posts