Living for the weekend

I've never understood people that "live for the weekend."  There are so many times that I feel disheartened at the status updates like "TGIF" or _________________(insert random happy Friday statement).  I mean, living for 2 and 1/2 days out of 7 is not just how I want to spend my life.

Thankfully, I have a job that I absolutely love and I enjoy Who I work for and the people with whom I work.  As a youth minister, my calling and my job are one in the same.  It's amazing!

So, I don't live for the weekend.....well.....I haven't lived for the weekend....until now

I've often heard from others that are dads that my life will change forever when I become a father.  I've heard men fumble for words to try to describe the livelihood that has been brought to them by their children.

For me, it was an unknown feeling that I would not be able to understand or appreciate fully.  But now, I understand.

Being a dad is an indescribable feeling that enters into ones very soul as those little eyes gaze up from that place in your arms.  I can't express in words the love I have for my son.  It just is.

There was a time in this whole process where I would ask myself the question, "Will I really love a child that is not my biological child?"  That fear rang true even in the moment we went to the hospital to meet our son.  Then, we opened the door and all my fears melted...so did my heart.

I now can relate to the TGIF crowd because that means I get to see my son.  Though Isaac is in a loving foster care home, I miss him dearly.  I can't wait to bond with him on our Saturday visits.  The week has grown longer and the weekend sweeter.  I know one day he will come home to us and we will face a new set of challenges....but....until then, for now, I live for the weekend.

Grace and Peace,
Brian

Comments

Popular Posts