The Very First Step
Cassidy:
Yesterday Brian and I took the first step towards adoption by going to talk to an adoption counselor at the Children's Home Society. The social worker we met with was great. She took us step by step through the process telling us what we should expect and what not to expect. Some things that really stood out to me was the care this organization gives to the birth mothers. The social worker told us that the birth mothers she serves become like family to her. I was really glad to hear that. She also recommended a more open adoption where we would go with the mother to the doctor visits and actually be at the hospital with her when the baby is born. I had never really thought of that before and it sounds really cool. I guess I just always saw adoption more like in the old movies where the mother just leaves the baby in a basket by the door (I know, that's silly of me.)
Another thing that really stood out at the meeting was that this society is actually looking for parents right now so we couldn't have come at a better time. What that means is it will take less time for the home visit to happen and the process to get started because the social worker has more time than usual.
One thing that I specifically asked about was the race of the baby. I am very open to adopting a baby of any race or a bi-racial baby. I asked our social worker what she thought about matching a baby of a different race to us. She said 10 years ago her answer would have been different; she would have discouraged us from adopting a baby that wasn't white. But now she said that society seems more open to seeing parents with kids of another color or race. I was excited about this because skin color doesn't matter to me; I just want us to be the parents for whatever baby God wants us to take care of.
So overall yesterday was a great experience! I know it is just the very first step in a long process but it is a start. Brian and I are going to look at a few more adoption agencies before we make the final decision but we both had a really good feeling about this one.
Yesterday Brian and I took the first step towards adoption by going to talk to an adoption counselor at the Children's Home Society. The social worker we met with was great. She took us step by step through the process telling us what we should expect and what not to expect. Some things that really stood out to me was the care this organization gives to the birth mothers. The social worker told us that the birth mothers she serves become like family to her. I was really glad to hear that. She also recommended a more open adoption where we would go with the mother to the doctor visits and actually be at the hospital with her when the baby is born. I had never really thought of that before and it sounds really cool. I guess I just always saw adoption more like in the old movies where the mother just leaves the baby in a basket by the door (I know, that's silly of me.)
Another thing that really stood out at the meeting was that this society is actually looking for parents right now so we couldn't have come at a better time. What that means is it will take less time for the home visit to happen and the process to get started because the social worker has more time than usual.
One thing that I specifically asked about was the race of the baby. I am very open to adopting a baby of any race or a bi-racial baby. I asked our social worker what she thought about matching a baby of a different race to us. She said 10 years ago her answer would have been different; she would have discouraged us from adopting a baby that wasn't white. But now she said that society seems more open to seeing parents with kids of another color or race. I was excited about this because skin color doesn't matter to me; I just want us to be the parents for whatever baby God wants us to take care of.
So overall yesterday was a great experience! I know it is just the very first step in a long process but it is a start. Brian and I are going to look at a few more adoption agencies before we make the final decision but we both had a really good feeling about this one.
Comments
Post a Comment